Saturday, October 31, 2009
CALL FOR ENTRIES (through Nov. 12): The Whole 9 Yards
THE WHOLE 9 YARDS, OFF THE WALL GALLERY’s Fifth Annual Juried Exhibition, a co-production of MIDWIVES COLLECTIVE & GALLERY, focuses on work that employs, or is conversant in, any textile, fabric or fiber media.
The entry fee is $5 per work, with the jury awarding up to $500 in prizes. The jury is also responsible for deciding at which gallery selected work will be exhibited.
THROUGH NOVEMBER 12, WE ARE ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FROM 2D AND 3D ARTISTS using and/or interpreting textile, fabric and fiber media. There are no size limitations but please use your judgment and knowledge of each space’s configuration.
While commonly employed fabric media, such as canvas and paper, do qualify, the jury will give additional consideration to artists WHO ACTIVELY WORK TO ELEVATE MEDIA; for example:
* Creating wearable or usable objects through fashion or industrial design.
* Hand-making original materials by weaving or bonding, re-using found objects, etc.
* Embellishing everyday objects with embroidery, de-constructing or re-interpreting them, etc.
* Employing any of these processes and others as stand-alone art forms.
* Using video, audio or photography to interpret or illustrate these media.
click here for prospectus.
WHO WE ARE:
Off the Wall Gallery is one of Philadelphia’s first non-traditional art spaces. Our formal founding year is 1978 but our roots date back to the 1940s when Dirty Frank’s began inviting local art students to hang their work. The gallery embraces emerging artists, avant-garde forms, strong personal and political perspectives, and fresh ideas.
The Midwives Collective & Gallery is a 21st-century women’s collective formed for the purpose of fostering community art making, culture and the creation of art history by maintaining a public arena for the display and practice of innovative, emerging art.